Services Provided by the Nunavut Health Insurance Plan:
- What is covered: Nunavut Health Insurance Plan covers some surgical procedures performed in a hospital. Seniors: dental services up to an annual maximum of $1,000. One pair of dentures every 5 years. Non-Insured Health Benefit (NIHB) covers for full cost of dental care (include exams, fillings, root canals, braces).
- What is NOT covered: Dental services other than specific procedures related to jaw injury or disease
- What is covered: Extended Health Benefits: for non-beneficiary Nunavut resident with specified diseases (covered for drugs for that specific disease), seniors aged 65 and over (covered for all approved drugs in the Formulary), any Nunavut resident who has used up or does not have any other health care insurance options. EHB pays for prescription cots not covered by other insurance plans, usually 20%. Non-Insured Health Benefit (NIHB): Federal Government program covers needs-based eligible Canadian recipients (registered Inuit, Innu, and Indians). Coverage is for prescription drugs & approved over-the-counter medication. Only the lowest cost alternative drug is covered. Indigent Health Benefits: for individuals receiving income support.
- What is NOT covered: The Nunavut Health Care Plan does not cover prescription drugs.
- What is covered: Nunavut Health Insurance Plan covers physician services at the territorial rate. Example: Nunavut Health Care Plan covers for $287 per emergency out-patient visit and $90.60 for a physician visit.
- What is NOT covered: The Nunavut Health Care Plan covers limited costs for emergency health services based on the Nunavut physician fee schedule and approved Nunavut hospital reciprocal rates. Ground and air ambulance charges are not covered.
The Department of Health advises that you should consider purchasing travel insurance prior to leaving Canada for vacation or extended periods when you are planning to be out of the country.
- What is covered: Non-Insured Health Benefit (NIHB) covers for eye exams, and one pair of eyeglasses every 2 years if over age 19 and every year if under 19. Seniors: one pair of eyeglasses and one eye exam every 2 years.
- What is NOT covered: The Nunavut Health Care Plan does not cover Optometric services.
- What is covered: Physiotherapy: covered when performed in a hospital.
- What is NOT covered: No coverage for the services of chiropractors, naturopaths, podiatrists, osteopaths, and acupuncture treatments; Nunavut Health Insurance Plan does NOT cover physiotherapy, speech therapy, and psychology services received in a facility that is not an insured hospital.
- What is covered: Hospital Services Covered: The standard ICU (Intensive Care Unit) ward rate; Nursing services, when provided by the hospital; Laboratory, x-ray and diagnostic procedures, and interpretation; Drugs prescribed by a physician and administered in the hospital; Use of the operating room, case room, and anaesthetic facilities required for diagnosis and treatment, including necessary equipment and supplies; Radiotherapy treatment, occupational therapy, and physiotherapy when provided by an insured facility.
- What is NOT covered: Hospital Services Not Covered: Hospital charges above the standard ward rate for private or semi-private accommodation; Services that are not medically required, such as cosmetic surgery; Services that are considered experimental; Ambulance charges (except inter-hospital transfers); Dental services, other than specific procedures related to jaw injury or disease; Alcohol and drug rehabilitation.
PRIVATE DUTY NURSING AND MEDICAL EQUIPMENT
- What is covered: Medical Supplies: some coverage provided under the Extended Health Benefits program for seniors and individuals with a specific disease. EHB plan covers the cost of equipment not covered by other insurance plans, usually 20%. Non-Insured Health Benefit (NIHB) covers for full cost of medical supplies and equipment. Nursing and Home Care Benefits - Based on medical needs as assessed by Provincial Health.
- What is covered: Nunavut health covers eligible seniors for the full cost of one hearing aid every 5 years.
- What is covered: Coverage for a hospital to hospital transfers only.
- What is NOT covered: Nunavut Health does NOT cover ambulance services (unless transfers between hospitals).
Visit www.ExtendedHealth.ca or call toll free 1-877-838-0020 to get a quote or apply for Extended Health care insurance.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The information on this web page is for illustration purposes only. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information. Coverage details are subject to change. For complete benefits, terms, conditions, limitations, and exclusions, please contact Nunavut Health and Social Services
Last revised in September 2020.