Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living directly pay physicians’ services that are medically required for you or your dependents.
If you are a Manitoba resident and are physically present in the province for 183 days, you are eligible for insured medical services. Residents of Manitoba can travel for up to seven months and remain eligible for Manitoba GHIP coverage.
- What is covered: Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living will insure certain dental procedures when hospitalization is required.
- What is NOT covered: No coverage for routine dental care by the provincial health insurance plan.
- What is covered: Coverage through the Pharmacare program for eligible prescription drugs listed on the Manitoba drug formulary. Residents pay a deductible based on annual family income.
- What is NOT covered: Manitoba Health does NOT cover drugs, medications, vaccines, sera or biological products, materials, and surgical supplies, except as provided for under the regulations.
- What is covered: Doctor Bills - Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living will pay for emergency doctors’ services outside of Canada at a rate equal to what a Manitoba doctor would receive for a similar service. Hospital Bills - Emergency hospital care is paid on an average daily rate established by Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living.
- What is NOT covered: You may be charged more than the amount paid by Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living for services provided outside Canada. The difference above the covered amount may be substantial and is your responsibility.
Please note: Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living recommends that you explore private insurance options along with your Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage to ensure that you have sufficient coverage for all of your health care needs while out of the country.
- What is covered: Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living provide coverage under the provincial health plan for one routine complete eye exam provided in a 2-year benefit period for patients under the age of 19 years and 65 years of age and over. All residents, regardless of age, are entitled to coverage of an eye exam when warranted by medical conditions as determined by the eye care provider.
- What is NOT covered: Eye exams are not insured by the Manitoba provincial healthcare plan unless the patient falls into one of the categories mentioned above.
- What is covered: Chiropractors - Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living will insure a maximum of 7 visits per Manitoba resident per calendar year. The adjustment of the spinal column, pelvis, and extremities are insured chiropractic services.
- What is NOT covered: Services not insured by Manitoba Health include the following: acupuncture; services performed by psychologists and dietitians outside a hospital or institution; services performed by chiropodists and podiatrists; services performed by audiologists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, and physiotherapists in private practice; chiropractic services other than adjustments.
- What is covered: Manitoba residents are insured for the following hospital services: Accommodation and meals at the standard level; Necessary nursing services; Laboratory, x-ray, and diagnostic procedures; Medications administered in a hospital; Use of the operating room, care room, and anaesthetic facilities; Routine surgical supplies; Occupational, speech, and physiotherapy; Dietetic counselling.
- What is NOT covered: Additional charges for a private or semi-private room are NOT covered by Manitoba Health.
PRIVATE DUTY NURSING AND MEDICAL EQUIPMENT
- What is covered: Coverage for basic nursing care in a personal care home for those that meet the criteria. The need for placement in a Manitoba personal care home is determined by an assessment panel authorized by Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living. If a Manitoba assessment panel determines that you require care in a personal care home and you meet the residency requirements, you may receive insured benefits. Medical Supplies - All residents who require prosthetic or orthotic services, as prescribed by a medical practitioner, are covered for 100% of the cost in most cases. Orthopedic shoes are covered at 50% up to $139 if under age 18 and not eligible through other programs. All residents who have had a mastectomy are eligible for reimbursement, every 2 years, of the cost of breast prosthetics, to a maximum of $400 per prosthesis. Home Hemodialysis Utility Reimbursement Program covers up to $2,116 per year.
- What is NOT covered: Private nursing is NOT a covered service by Manitoba provincial health insurance plan.
- What is covered: Manitoba residents under the age of 18 who require a hearing aid, as prescribed by an otolaryngologist or audiologist, and do not have the costs paid through other provincial or federal programs, are eligible for children's hearing aid program. Reimbursement of 80%, for up to $500 per ear for analog device and up to $1,800 for digital device every four years after a $75 deductible.
- What is NOT covered: Hearing aids are NOT covered unless a patient is eligible for Children's hearing aid program.
- What is covered: Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living will cover medically-necessary, land ambulance inter-facility transports when a patient is being transported between designated health-care facilities for diagnostic tests or treatment, or from a more specialized level of care to another facility closer to home for rehabilitation or recovery.
- What is NOT covered: No coverage for ambulance and transportation subsidies except as listed in the regulations.
- Manitoba Drug Formulary Lookup
Visit www.ExtendedHealth.ca or call toll free 1-877-838-0020 to get a quote or apply for Extended Health care insurance.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The information on this web page is for illustration purposes only. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information. Coverage details are subject to change. For complete benefits, terms, conditions, limitations, and exclusions, please contact Manitoba Health.
Last revised in September 2020.